Congress has had 10 years to "fix" the so-called Bush tax cuts. But no, instead, they waited until after the mid-term elections to even begin to think about it. This way it didn't affect their re-election results and helps create yet another "crisis" so they can jam legislation down our throats without reading it.
Mad, Who's Mad?
Just because we fired over 50 representatives in the House of Representatives doesn't mean that we are mad. However, it may indicate that the fired representatives are mad. Look at their recent behavior. With nothing to loose, they tried to pass (and almost did) a $1.1 Trillion dollar Omnibus Spending package without reading it. Being fired, they thought that it was still OK to include over 6,600 earmarks (pork spending) even though voters indicated that wasteful spending must stop. Frankly, they just don't give a SHXT!
Fired Get Benefits
Unfortunately, fired government representatives receive fringe benefits - even though they were fired. That's right, they still will collect 80% of their $175,000 (or $140,000) PLUS free medical insurance coverage for life. All this for just having to serve a measly two years in Washington. What's wrong with that picture?
When the new Congress begins on January 5, 2011, why not ask your new reps to introduce new legislation to fix this problem? Here's what it should contain:
- Term Limits. Max 2 consecutive terms for Senators and 3 terms for Congressmen.
- No retirement benefits.
- No more free medical benefits.
- Eliminate Lame Ducks: Upon receipt of certified election results, representatives are through immediately. Pack-up, go home, and stop legislating. Swear-in the new winners immediately.
- Make Congress part-time. 6 Months maximum.
- Cut Congressional pay to $40,000.
- Make it ILLEGAL for special interest groups to donate money to Congress.
- Any Representative found guilty of ethics violations will be fired immediately. A special election will be held ASAP to fill the vacant seat.
- All Congressional Representatives must travel on commercial airlines and be subjected to TSA body searches. No more freebie airplanes.
- Demand legislation for a balanced budget.
- Make it against Federal Law NOT TO PASS A BUDGET with penalty of imprisonment.
Be the squeaky wheel in your District. Let your new legislators know who you are, where you live and what you expect from them. Do so frequently!