Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Tea Party Power?

Michigan's 8 term Congressman Vernon Ehlers (R, MI) has announced that he will not seek re-election in the upcoming mid-term elections. WHY? It might be because Tea Party favorite Justin Amash (R) had launched a primary bid against Congressman Ehlers.

While I regret leaving when so much more needs to be done, I know it is time for me to step down,” the 76-year-old congressman said. “I am in good health, but I recognize that I should complete this chapter of my life. I look forward to spending more time with my wife and my family.”

Ehlers, who has been in elective office since 1975, serves on the House committees on Education and Labor; Science and Technology; and Transportation and Infrastructure

First-term state Represenative. Justin Amash, a favorite with the local Tea Party activists, announced Tuesday that he will run for the seat. Local activist Michael Van Kleeck has also filed to run as a Republican.

Other names being floated as possible candidates include state Sen. Bill Hardiman, of Kent County; Secretary of State Terri Lynn Land, who is currently running for lieutenant goovernor but has expressed interest in the seat in the past; 2002 gubernatorial candidate and former Lt. Gov. Dick Posthumus; and state Sen. Mark Jansen, who represents parts of Kent County.

No comments:

Post a Comment