Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Congress Has Evolved

Politics and Politicians
Today's blog contains writings from Mark Twain. His sentiments regarding politicians seem to parallel those of the today's Tea Party Movement. Here are several of his observations:

  • "Those burglars that broke into my house recently are in jail, and if they keep on they will go to Congress. When a person starts downhill you can never tell where he's going to stop."

  • "It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is not distinctly native American criminals class except Congress."

  • "Political parties who accuse the one in power of gobbling the spoils etc are like the wolf who looked in at the door and saw the shepherds eating mutton, and said: 'Oh, certainly - it's all right as long as it's you - but there'd be hell to pay if I was to do that.'"

  • "I guess the government that robs its own people earns the future it is preparing for itself."

  • "Yes, you are right - I am a moralist in disguise; it gets me into heaps of trouble when I go thrashing around in political questions."

  • "But no, that would be common sense - and out of place in government."

  • "All Congresses and Parliaments have a kindly feeling for idiots, and a compassion for them, on account of personal experience and heredity."

  • "Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."

  • "The radical of one century is the conservative of the next. The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out the conservative adopts them."

  • "I think I can say, ans say with pride, that we have some legislatures that bring higher prices that any in the world."

  • "A pretty air in an opera is prettier there than it could be anywhere else, I suppose, just as an honest man in politics shines more than he would elsewhere."

  • "I am quite sure now that ofter, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above a monkey's."

  • "I will not go any further into politics as I would get excited, and I don't like to get excited."

Lessons Learned
History repeats itself. Although these remarks were written (for the most part) back in the late 1800s, they still seem to be in touch with the reality of today. Sad but true. The message is clear. If you want to maintain your freedoms, we must all be vigilant of Congress, the Constitution, and the President.

In Closing
"If this nation has ever trusted in God, that time has gone by; for nearly half a century almost its entire trust has been in the Republican party and the dollar - mainly the dollar." It's time to get rid of the corruption and dishonesty in Washington,once again America.

No comments:

Post a Comment